LUCKY ESCAPE AFTER BARTON MATTRESS FIRE
Image Credit – Lukasz Olszowiak/123rf.com
A Canberra family has had a lucky escape after a mattress caught fire where children were sleeping overnight.
Firefighters arrived at the ground floor of a Barton unit on Bourke Street at around 2:40am Wednesday, to find three adults and three children waiting outside.
They went inside to find a mattress on fire, caused by a lamp that had fallen onto a bed.
Luckily, no one was hurt.
It’s prompted ACT Fire and Rescue to remind locals to keep their electrical appliances away from beds.
For more information on home fire safety, visit the Emergency Services Agency website.