Mix 106.3
Canberra's Greatest Hits

Now Playing:

Listen on


Image Credit – Vladyslav Siaber/123rf.com

Canberrans are being warned not to pick or eat any wild mushrooms, with more death cap mushrooms found in the territory.

“Even a small amount of death cap mushroom can be enough to kill an adult. They definitely should be avoided – not even touched,” ACT Chief Health Officer, Dr Paul Kelly said.

“There’s a toxin within the death cap mushroom which is very dangerous to the health of humans and other mammals.”

They often grow near established oak trees and can be found when there’s wet weather.

Dr Kelly said it’s extremely difficult to tell the difference between edible and non-edible mushrooms.

“So our general advice therefore is to not pick or eat wild mushrooms at all and to buy your mushrooms from a reputable dealer.”

ACT Health’s also reminding Canberrans – cooking them does not make them safe to eat.

There’s been four deaths and several poisonings linked to death cap mushrooms in the ACT since 2002.

Symptoms of poisoning include pains, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.

Those who suspect they’ve eaten a death cap should go straight to the Emergency Department and take any remaining mushroom to the hospital, so it can be identified.

If you find a mushroom in a public area, call Access Canberra on 13 22 81.

For more information about death cap mushrooms, visit the ACT Health website!

Share this: