Worksafe investigating death at University Hospital worksite
by Brent Ford
image credit - Canberra Times
Investigations into the death of a worker at the future site of Canberra's third hospital continue, as police hand the investigation over to Worksafe ACT.
ACT Work Safety Commissioner Greg Jones has expressed his sincere condolences to the family and colleagues of a worker tragically killed at the University of Canberra Public Hospital site on Thursday evening.
“Worksafe ACT can confirm that the fatality was the result of a mobile crane carrying a large generator rolling onto its side, with the boom coming into contact with the worker,” Mr Jones said.
Worksafe’s major investigation team is now conducting a thorough and rigorous investigation of the incident that will continue over coming days, with ongoing co-operation from ACT Policing.
“The Worksafe investigation will assess areas such as mechanical safety, ground conditions, safe work systems and standards, and the training and briefing provided to workers. A geotechnical expert is assisting with the assessment of the ground conditions, and the manufacturers of the crane are also assisting with the investigation into the crane’s operation.
“This tragic incident highlights the need for all construction site operators to ensure that they have adequate safety methods in place, that workers are trained in their operation and that the safety methods are closely followed,” Mr Jones said.
Counselling is being provided to workers through the CFMEU.
The incident is unrelated to an issue associated with a tower crane on the site as part of crane safety compliance audit conducted earlier in the week.
It is anticipated that further information will be available following today’s investigations.