Nutella Frangelico Ice Cream Sandwiches Oh My!
This recipe makes 22 cookies or 11 ice cream sandwiches.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half & half
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 5 Tablespoons Frangelico
- 8 ounces unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup nutella
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 & 1/2 cups AP flour
- small amount of good quality chocolate to roll the sandwiches in (I used Callebaut dark chocolate)
- Bring cream, half & half, and sugar to just scant a boil.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks with vanilla. Start to drizzle in hot cream mixture, whisking constantly until about half of the cream is tempered into the egg yolks.
- Add back to the pot with remaining cream and cook over low heat till thickened, about 1 minute.
- Strain, add Frangelico, then cool to room temperature. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill at least 4 hours, stirring every so often.
- Add to ice cream machine and process according to manufacturer’s instructions. Freeze until firm, 2-3 hours.
- Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add nutella and continue to mix.
- Add eggs and extract, mixing till combined.
- Mix in dries.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate a few hours - over night.
- Portion dough into 1.5 ounce portions.
- Bake at 325 degrees for approx. 15-17 minutes rotating once halfway through.
- When cookies are completely cool, store cookies in an airtight container till ready to use.
- Scoop ice cream on one cookie and top with a second cookie. Gently press together.
- Roll sandwiches in chopped chocolate and pop in the freezer to firm up.
You can omit the Frangelico if you just want vanilla ice cream.
Make sure you chill the cookie dough before you bake it. It is a soft dough so it needs time to firm up.
I used a 1.5 ounce cookie scoop to portion the dough. Just scoop & bake.
Source: Buttercream Blondie