We Have The Secret To KFC’s Finger-Lickin’ Chicken Recipe!
It’s the secret recipe that has been one of fast food’s most closely guarded secrets.
But we may finally know what the Colonel’s 11 secret herbs and spices are!
According to the Chicago Tribune, an old scrap book has revealed exactly what goes into the recipe that is so finger lickin’ good.
The book belonged to one of Colonel Sander’s relatives and had the ingredients written on a handwritten note inside an envelope.
Previously owned by the Colonel’s second wife, his nephew Joe Ledington said while he can’t confirm if it is the original recipe he thinks it very likely.
While KFC’s parent company has denied it’s the correct recipe, we think this sounds pretty tasty nonetheless…
The Recipe: Fried chicken with 11 herbs and spices
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 tablespoon dried basil leaves
1/3 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
1 tablespoon celery salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried mustard
4 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons garlic salt
1 tablespoon ground ginger
3 tablespoons ground white pepper
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg, beaten
1 chicken, cut up, the breast pieces cut in half for more even frying
Expeller-pressed canola oil
1. Mix flour in bowl with herbs and spices.
2. Mix buttermilk and egg together in separate bowl until combined.
3. Soak chicken in buttermilk mixture for 20-30 mins at room temperature.
4. Remove allowing excess to drip off before dipping chicken in herb-spice-flour mixture. Allow to sit on rack over a baking sheet for 20 mins.
5. Heat about 3 inches of oil in a large Dutch oven (or similar heavy pot with high sides) over medium-high heat to 350 degrees. Once reached, lower to medium to maintain. Fry 3 or 4 pieces at a time, until medium golden brown, turning once for 15-18 minutes.
6. Transfer chicken to baking sheet covered with paper towels.
7. Allow the oil to return to temperature before adding more chicken.