Mix 106.3
Canberra's Greatest Hits

Now Playing:

Listen on

Warning After Whole Grapes Cause Two Young Children To Choke

Parents are being warned about the dangers of feeding their young children whole grapes after two choking deaths.

While many parents believe, they’re doing the right thing by offering up a healthy snack, an unsliced grape can cause all sorts of problems due to its size and smoothness.

A report published in the journal of Archives of Disease in Childhood states whole grapes should never be given to young children. The report follows choking incidents involving at least three children aged five and under. Sadly, two of those children died.

Due to the grape’s soft surface, it can easily become lodged at the back of a child’s throat. Making matters worse, a grape is larger than a young child’s airways.

"There is general awareness of the need to supervise young children when they are eating... but knowledge of the dangers posed by grapes and other similar foods is not widespread," authors Dr. Jamie Cooper and colleague Dr. Amy Lumsden told HeatlhDay.

Of the two deaths, one of the children was given a grape at after school care. After attempts to dislodge the piece of fruit failed he sadly passed away after going into cardiac arrest. A 17-month-old also sadly died at the family home after a grape became lodged in his throat. While the parents managed to dislodge it, sadly he couldn’t be revived.

In the third case paramedics arrived just in time to dislodge the grape. The two-year-old suffered seizures and brain swelling and spent five days in ICU. Thankfully he made a full recovery.

The report also revealed more than half the number of choking deaths among children under five are caused by food. Hot dogs, lollies and grapes are the three worst culprits.  

If you still want to feed your child grapes, the report suggests cutting the fruit into quarters to ensure it can be safely consumed.

Share this: