Mix 106.3
Canberra's Greatest Hits

Now Playing:

Loading...
Listen on

Cyclist Gets Third Degree Burns After iPhone 'Explodes'

Bondi man Gareth Clear claims that he received third degree burns to his thigh which will require skin grafts after his iPhone 'exploded' in his back pocket after he had a minor fall from his bike.

Clear, 36, said the incident happened on Sunday.

"I just saw smoke coming out of my back pocket...and then all of a sudden I felt this surging pain,"

undefined

He claims he felt a "searing heat" as the phone burnt through his riding shorts in a matter of seconds.

"I just remember looking at my leg and I had this black discharge all down my leg and this smell of phosphorus "

undefined

An ACCC spokesman said it was now investigating the incident. 

"The decreasing size and slimness of portable devices coupled with consumer expectations about battery life are a challenge for battery manufacturers," he said.

"Lithium batteries are vulnerable to significant physical impact, [which] may damage the extremely thin separators that keep the elements of the battery apart."

SMH

Share this: