Mix 106.3
Canberra's Greatest Hits

Now Playing:

Loading...
Listen on

Threats spark QLD and NSW School Evacuations

Update 11:40am: 

It now appears schools in NSW are being evacuated for the third day in a row, allegedly from an overseas source. 

This is happening simultaneously to a number of QLD schools being forced to evacuate, following similar calls. 

Both NSW and QLD police are investigating, while the exact number of schools being evacuated has not been released. 

"There is no evidence these are anything other than hoaxes designed to cause unnecessary disruption and inconvenience," police said in a statement.

Schools across Sydney were disrupted on Friday and again on Monday after receiving threats.

A number of Brisbane schools have also been evacuated on Tuesday after receiving similar threats.

Update 11:36am: 

The ABC has named the affected schools as The Gap State High School in Brisbane, Bounty Boulevard State School at North Lakes, north of Brisbane, Townsville State High School, and Buddina State School on the Sunshine Coast.

Reports also suggest Surfers Paradise State School, Caningeraba State School and Oxenford State School have received threats.

"I've just had some preliminary advice. The police service is taking this issue extremely seriously and I plan to speak to the police commissioner as soon as I leave here," the premier told reporters.

Queensland police are working closely with the state education department.

"Queensland police are aware of a number of Queensland schools having received threatening phone calls today," it said, noting the similar incidents in Victoria and NSW in recent days.

Earlier: 

A number of Brisbane schools are being evacuated after receiving threats, in a case mirroring similar events at Sydney and Melbourne schools in the past week.

Queensland police could not say how many schools are affected.

"It's similar to what happened in NSW and Victoria last week," a police spokeswoman told AAP.

Threatening phone calls were made to at least 15 schools in NSW and Victoria in the past week, forcing evacuations and disruptions for thousands of students in the first days of the school year.

A series of phone calls were made to those schools on Friday, including one reportedly using a computerised voice, prompted the schools to call police.

And on Monday this week, nine Sydney schools were put in lockdown as police investigated threats made against them.

The Department of Education said it could not confirm the number of Queensland schools involved.

"All we can say is that it's a number of schools," a spokesman told AAP.

"But it's pretty widespread."

Schools rumoured to be among those evacuated are Bounty Boulevard State School in North Lakes, The Gap Senior High School, Buddina State School, MacGregor SHS on the Sunshine Coast and Townsville Senior High School according to multiple media reports.

With AAP

Share this: