Eating healthier is something that crosses everyone’s mind, but in the hustle and bustle of day to day life how can you actually eat healthier? When your afternoon is swamped by taking the kids to dance, footy, cricket, gymnastics and what seems like every sport known to man, all hope of that healthier feast you were planning to cook up goes out the window!
But truth is, it’s much easier than you think… Rather than trying to change your whole lifestyle, small changes here and there can really make a difference. Like these simple healthier swaps…
- Instead of a carb-loaded lasagne, try adding in a layer of eggplant or mushrooms.
- Swap out white bread for wholemeal or multigrain – Simple but much healthier.
- Replace an unhealthy afternoon snack and treat yourself to dried fruit and nuts – a great source of protein and filling!
- Make your own flavoured water with lemon, lime or berries – a nice twist that can replace sugary soft drinks.
- Avoid sugar heavy desserts and try two pieces of 90% dark chocolate drizzled over fruit salad – Still sweet and satisfying, without the crazy sugar high.
Not only are the swaps easy to try and delicious, the kids can get involved too! You might even have your own healthier recipes, or maybe one of your kids is a chef in the making!
If you’re keen for Canberra celebrity status and have a healthier recipe, get in quick and enter The Great Canberra Cook off! Whether you’re a Little Chef, Teen Chef or Stripped Back Chef, The Great Canberra Cook-Off is the place to show off your talent. There’re heaps of prizes up for grabs, plus you could cook with a local celebrity and be featured in The Great Canberra Cook-Off e-Recipe Book!
Share your healthier recipes with Canberra and enter the Great Canberra Cook-Off at http://bit.ly/2NcGUX8
Entries close Monday 11 November.