Relay for Life is back in 2021, but in a much different way – now known as Relay Your Way.
Wilko and Courts participated in Relay Your Way this year and raised much needed funds for Cancer Council ACT. It was a lot of fun and they are encouraging you to get involved in this year’s new look event!
How it works
This fundraising event was started in 1985 and involves people walking and raising funds for the Cancer Council. Relay your way was introduced this year because of the local impact COVID-19 has had on events held in the ACT. This means that you can set your own goal, hit the ground running to raise as much $ to help support Cancer Council’s vital work. You can relay your way in a team or as an individual (which ever way you want to do it!)
Where the money goes
Cancer Council relies heavily on community support to fun their research and programs. They have provided a breakdown of what your funds do:
- $5 can help us give a newly-diagnosed cancer patient important support and information resources to help them through their cancer journey.
- $10 can help offer free exercise programs that assist cancer patients in building strength and fitness during and after treatment.
- $25 can help transport cancer patients to and from hospital for treatment.
- $50 can help the Cancer Council 13 11 20 provide free and confidential information and support on all aspects of cancer.
- $100 can help provide free accommodation for cancer patients, their families and carers during treatment.
- $500 can help pay an overdue electricity, phone, gas or rates bill for a cancer patient who has not been able to work.
- $5000 can help fund ground-breaking research into new and better ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer.
There are also some great incentives to raise as much as possible. You if raise $250 you get a free Relay for Life t-shirt. There are also prizes for highest fundraising team, individual, school and best theme or activity.
More info for you
The official day for the event is the 20th of March. For this event you can begin your fundraising journey now with the final day being in March. Cancer Council will provide you with plenty of tips to get you started. Same great ideas that they have already come up with include:
- Reach your target by completing laps around Lake Burley Griffin (Just like the Wilko and Courts team!)
- Complete the centenary trail
- Walk 24km in a day OR over a period of time
- Set yourself a challenge to walk all six summits in Canberra
- Walk for 24 hours in a month
If you are keen to get involved and support such a great event you can register or find out how you can get involved click here.