ACT Health is directing anyone who’s visited Sydney’s Northern Beaches, since Friday 11 December, to immediately self-isolate and get tested as the number of COVID-19 cases in the area grows.
Overnight, NSW Health authorities detected an additional 15 new infections, taking the total number of cases linked to the outbreak to 17.
That figure does not include the Sydney airport van driver who also tested positive to the virus earlier this week.
The origins of the Northern Beaches outbreak remains unknown at this stage.
The Territory’s travel advice has also been updated in response to the cluster, urging locals to steer clear of the area.
“We know this will be difficult news for people so close to Christmas,” ACT Chief Health Officer, Dr Kerryn Coleman said.
“However, it is important we act quickly to respond to this outbreak while NSW continue with their contact tracing and assess the extent of the local transmission that is occurring.
“This is a timely reminder that as we make plans to come together with our family and friends in the coming weeks, or travel over the summer holidays, we must be COVID-Safe and get tested, even with the mildest of symptoms,” Dr Coleman said.
Anyone who has been in an location of concern, as identified by NSW Health, should contact the ACT Communicable Disease Control team on (02) 5124 9213.
A list of those locations can be found here.