The Territory’s border will effectively remain closed to the Greater Sydney area for at least another week as the city continues to grapple with multiple coronavirus clusters.
Public Health Directions that ban visitors from the Greater Sydney area including the Central Coast, Blue Mountain and Wollongong will remain in place until Wednesday 13 January with a review of those orders expected the day prior.
ACT Chief Health Officer Dr Kerryn Coleman said keeping the public health direction in place for another week was necessary considering the ongoing situation in areas of concern in NSW.
“We have been closely monitoring the situation in NSW and what has been unfolding there over the past few days,” Dr Coleman said.
“The recent Berala cluster in Sydney’s west is particularly concerning and another example of how quickly and easily the virus can spread.
“For those in COVID-19 affected areas of NSW, please continue to respect the public health direction in place and do not travel to the ACT.
Under the public health orders non-resident visitors from the Greater Sydney area are required to seek an exemption to enter the ACT.
Returning locals can enter the Territory from covid affected areas of New South Wales but must self-declare and quarantine for 14-days.
ACT Police have been conducting random compliance checks on drivers travelling into the ACT but are set to ramp up checks within the Territory’s borders.
Approximately 2,700 people are now in quarantine across the ACT since the border restrictions were introduced late last month.