The ACT Chief Minister insists Canberra is still well placed to manage any potential outbreaks of COVID-19 within the ACT amid the ongoing outbreak in Sydney and now in Victoria.
It comes as the Nation’s Capital remains on alert with 26 people forced into isolation until returning a negative test result after being identified as casual contacts of the Goulburn worker who tested positive to the virus earlier in the week.
Andrew Barr said, so far, there’s been no signs of the virus within the Territory.
“It won’t be circulating within the community without us knowing because it will be picked up in testing, sewage and in the health system.”
Early detection is just one of the Territory’s defence mechanisms currently in place, with an expansion of the Check-In CBR requirements also coming into effect on Thursday.
Mr Barr said vaccination is also playing a critical role.
“We’re the most vaccinated of any state and Territory in the country, nearly half of the adult population have now had one shot and around one in five Canberrans are now fully vaccinated.”
Taken a listen to Andrew Barr’s full chat with Kristen & Nige below: