Canberrans are being warned about the increasing presence of Death Cap mushrooms across the Territory.

Mild summer temperatures saw their growing season start late last year and its expected their numbers will continue to grow ahead of a peak in Autumn.

ACT Chief Health Officer, Dr Kerryn Coleman said Death Caps are easily mistaken for edible mushrooms and is urging locals not to pick or eat any mushroom they find in the wild.

“All parts of the Death Cap mushroom are poisonous, whether they have been cooked or not.”

“If you think you may have eaten a Death Cap mushroom, seek urgent medical attention at a hospital emergency department even if there are no symptoms. If possible, take any remaining mushrooms to the hospital for identification,” Dr Coleman said.

Four people have died after consuming the mushrooms in the ACT since 2002.

Anyone who sees a wild mushroom in a public area is urged to report it to Access Canberra on 13 22 81.

Advertisement
Advertisement