Health authorities in the ACT have confirmed they’re working with fewer than five people, identified as close contacts on board a Qatar airways flight that touched down in Sydney over the weekend, where at least two passengers have since tested positive to the new Omicron COVID-19 variant.

So far, no known cases of the new strain have been detected within the Territory.

Authorities are also investigating the movements of a number of people who’ve been identified as spending time in nine southern African nations, who are now subject to quarantine requirements.

All other international arrivals are now required to isolate for at least the next 72 hours.

However, ACT Health Minister Rachel Stephen-Smith said those rules will be reviewed on Tuesday.

“I understand national Cabinet is expected to meet tomorrow to discuss the omicron variant and the border arrangements, so there will be further announcements that will be able to made tomorrow evening or on Wednesday morning.”

Despite the rapidly evolving situation, Minister Stephen-Smith said she was not expecting there to be any change to the ACT’s COVID-19 restrictions as a result of the new strain just yet.

Advertisement
Advertisement

“We’re sticking with where we are, at the moment, until we have some further information.”

Listen to the latest news below: