Additional COVID-19 restrictions will be reintroduced across the ACT on Saturday.
From 12pm January 8th, hospitality and licensed venues, including cafes, bars and nightclubs, and indoor entertainment venues will only be allowed to operate seated service while within current density limits.
Dancing at the above venues will also no longer be permitted.
Chief Minister, Andrew Barr, announced the decision late on Friday afternoon and said the measures were necessary as COVID-19 case numbers continue to rise both in the ACT and across the border.
“Mandatory face masks, density limits and other public health measures for businesses and indoor venues will also continue.
“Events will continue with ACT Health working closely with event organisers to ensure COVID safety plans are in place.”
Most Category 2 and 3 elective surgeries at Calvary Public Hospital have also been cancelled for at least the next six weeks.
ACT Health Minister, Rachel Stephen-Smith, said the Territory’s health system is starting to experience increased pressure, with more than 230 health care workers currently in quarantine.
“Postponing elective surgeries is always incredibly difficult, but taking this action will enable additional health care staff to be redeployed to respond to the COVID-19 outbreak. There will be no changes to elective surgeries at Canberra Hospital or in the ACT’s private hospitals at this time.
It follows moves by New South Wales earlier in the day to reintroduce a ban on singing and dancing in hospitality venues and the cancellation of elective surgeries.
Further information about the changes to restrictions in the ACT can be found online here.